Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Troubled Beginnings
I had a rough day. How many people say that and really mean it? Who knows? Anyhow, my day was rough. I picked a career with daily deadlines and demanding bosses. My fellow colleagues and I are constantly feeding the beast. But that is not why my day was rough. After nearly seven years, I'm used to the daily demands. My day was less-than-par because of my shitty speech. Last October, I attended a two-week speech therapy to help conquer my stutter. It worked. I mean, the therapy really does work. For a while, I forgot that I had been afraid to say words like "literature" and "mustang." The word "story" sounded like a tire leaking air. After I left therapy, I was doing great. I practiced regularly and I know longer had to substitute the word "little" with the word "small." Then, I fell back a bit. I noticed it last weekend. I still practiced as much as ever, but I was not transferring that success into real life. Today, I stuttered for the first time in a long time. It sucked. It was so depressing. Not that I did it in front of my boss, but that it happened at all. I need to really focus on what I'm doing and to do the therapy at all times. Let's hope I can do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment